Menu

Author Topic: Castra plans?  (Read 5809 times)

Offline Decimvs

• R.Net Actual
  • Admin
  • Miles
  • Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverun
    • reenactor.Net
Castra plans?
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
Here, attached, are some plans and art of what Marcvs thinks the castra should look like... Your thoughts and comments...

The first art comments form Marcvs: Here is a view of a reconstruction of the field fortifications at Alesia in France. The walls are done in a manner similar to what is proposed for our Castra, with wattling or a basket weave using log poles with a smaller diameter posts in between, and planks or saplings woven I around them.

Second art: This is what the front gate end of the Castra may look like when complete.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:35:29 PM by Decimvs »
Decimus Mercatius Varianus (aka (Marsh Wise)
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org
-Romans in Britain www.romanobritain.org
-reenactor.Net www.reenactor.net/
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself. ~Mark Twain

William

Re: Castra plans?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »
Woven material get fragile and breaks easily.  It is also hard to get the material to weave with it.  This sounds easier said than done.  Alesia is a park and museum site.  Straight wood I think is better.  How do you weave planks?  Where do you get the planing material.  I assume you went it to bend it.  It is up to Mike as to whether we can use on site saplings.  He is very particular about the trees we used being a former forest ranger.  I would get his thoughts on this.

Alec

Offline Marcus Equitius Lentulus

• Optio
  • Admin
  • Probatus
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »
Alec, I discussed this with Mike at the work party you missed. The use of saplings isn't being planned, but rough-cut pressure treated planks are being discussed. To weave a plank around a 4" center post you only need to bend a plank by 2 inches across a span of 12 feet. We will have to do a test to see what thickness of plank this can be done without severe effort, and still be sturdy and durable. From my experience it will probably be 5 quarter or 1.5 inch rough. If we use culled or surplus lumber, some of it may be warped, or crooked, or cupped none of this will matter if the planks are "basket-woven". It would be a big problem if we tried to nail planks to posts, like a modern wood fence.

A lot depends on what lumber we can get economically and what lengths and thicknesses are available in quantity. Once we have the conference with Shawn we will have a better idea of what our options are.

Offline Decimvs

• R.Net Actual
  • Admin
  • Miles
  • Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverun
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:11:41 PM »
Walls made of wattling
Decimus Mercatius Varianus (aka (Marsh Wise)
-Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org
-Romans in Britain www.romanobritain.org
-reenactor.Net www.reenactor.net/
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But then I repeat myself. ~Mark Twain